Amazon has the possibility to display variants in a drop down window instead of showing each variant as an individual product listing. In order to show your product variants on Amazon and in your Amazon inventory with a drop down window you will need to create two Amazon APIs per country, one for the parent-products and one for the variants.
1) Amazon parent API setup
- When creating the Amazon Parent API select the field item_group_id as Unique ID per product or another field containing an item_group_ID.
Note: In some instances, for example when importing products from Magento, this might be a little different. It can be that your parent (or 'Configurable' from Magento) product is imported without item_group_id. The normal 'ID' of the configurable is then the same as the 'item_group_id' of the simples (or variants). If this is the case for you, you need to use the normal 'ID' throughout the Parent setup. You still need to use the 'item_group_id' as normal for the Variant setup!
- Copy or set-up categories in the categories tab.
- Exclude variants in the rules to only leave the parent products.
- Set the following rule to add the parent tag to the item_group_IDs and group on item_group_id to remove possible duplicates.
- Make sure that stock, price and EAN fields are empty for all parents:
- Go to the attribute builder and fill in all the essential (red) fields.
- Set variant theme (Varianten-Design for Amazon DE) to one of the possible variant options. To check out which variant options are possible, click on the variation theme attribute in the attribute builder. A new smaller screen will then open in which you can see the possible values:
Three common variant options are:
- Color (when using color variants)
- Size (when using size variants)
- colorsize (when using size and color variants)
- Set Parentage (Variantenbestandteil in Amazon DE) to Parent
Variation Theme & Parentage - Amazon UK Varianten-Design & Variantenbestandteil - Amazon DE
2) Amazon variant API setup
- When creating the variant Amazon API set unique ID per product to ID
- Copy categories in the categories tab from the parent API.
- Exclude parent products in the rules tab and only leave the variant products.
- Go to the attribute builder tab and fill in all the essential (red) fields.
- Set Relationship Type (Produktbeziehungstyp in Amazon DE) to Variation.
Relationship Type - Amazon UK Produktbeziehungstyp - Amazon DE
- Set the following rule to add the parent tag to the item_group_IDs. Note: do NOT group on item_group_id as this removes all variants.
- Link the field containing item_group_ID-parent to parent SKU (SKU des übergeordneten Produkts in Amazon DE) in the attribute builder.
Parent SKU - Amazon UK SKU des übergeordneten Produkts - Amazon DE
3) Send your products to Amazon
- When finished with the parent and variant APIs, run the parent API and check if the parent products are visible in your Amazon Seller Central account.
- Run the variant API.
- If successful your products will now have a variant menu in the Amazon inventory.
The different parent products The variations of a parent product
If you have followed all the steps in this article and the items are not shown as in the images above, please consult our troubleshooter article.