Amazon has the possibility to display variants in a drop down window instead of showing each variant as an individual product. In order to show your product variants on Amazon and in your Amazon inventory with a drop down window you will need to create two Amazon marketplaces per country, one for the parent-products and one for the variants.
1) Amazon parent marketplace setup
1. When creating the Parent Amazon channel select the field item_group_id as Unique ID per product or another field containing an item_group_ID.
2. Copy or set-up categories in the Categories tab.
3. Exclude variants in the Rules to only leave the parent products.
4. Set the following rule to add the parent tag to the item_group_IDs and group on item_group_id to remove possible duplicates.
5. Set stock to 0 for all parents
6. go to the attribute builder and fill in all the essential (red) fields.
7. Set Variant Theme (Varianten-Design for Amazon DE) to one of the 3 variant options
-ColorName (when using color variants)
-Size/Color (when using size and color variants)
-SizeName (when using size variants)
8. Set Parentage (Variantenbestandteil in Amazon DE) to Parent
|Variation Theme - Amazon UK||Parentage - Amazon UK||Varianten-Design/Variantenbestandteil - Amazon DE|
2) Amazon variant marketplace setup
1. When creating the variant Amazon channel set unique ID per product to ID
2. Copy categories in the Categories tab.
3. Exclude parent products in the Rules tab and only leave the variant products.
4. Go to the attribute builder and fill in all the essential (red) fields.
5. Set Relationship Type (Produktbeziehungstyp in Amazon DE) to Variation
|Relationship Type - Amazon UK||Produktbeziehungstyp - Amazon DE|
6. Set the following rule to add the parent tag to the item_group_IDs. Important: do NOT group on item_group_id as this removes all variants.
7. Couple the field containing item_group_ID-parent to parent SKU (SKU des übergeordneten Produkts in Amazon DE) in the attribute builder.
|Parent SKU - Amazon UK||SKU des übergeordneten Produkts - Amazon DE|
3) Send your products to Amazon marketplace
1. When finished with the Parent and Variant marketplace, run the parent marketplace and check if the parent products are visible in your Amazon Seller Central account.
2. Run the variant marketplace.
When successful your products will now have a variant menu in the Amazon inventory
4) How to troubleshoot your setup
Check the error messages in your child feed, these should give hints in what’s causing variants to not be created as intended. For example common error 8016: 'The product data provided was insufficient for creating a variation (parent/child) relationship for ....... Ensure that the parent and child share the same variation theme and that there is a submission for variation theme attributes (eg. size and color for size_colour variation theme). This error indicates that either the size or the colour field values are missing and therefore there cannot be a parent/child relation created.
Some additional hints:
Create a check rule at the end of both the parent and child feed to check what the result is of all the applied rules:
When you click 'selected items' you will get an overview of the result of the applied rules. Search for the 'item_group_ID' of the product in this check rule. In the parent feed there should be one product and one product only, this is the parent product and should always have:
- The stock set to 0;
- The same category as the corresponding child products;
- The same parent id as the corresponding child products;
- The 'item_group_ID' in the following style ‘12345-parent’;
- No red fields or values in the attribute builder;
- An appropriate variation theme in the attribute builder.
The child feed should at least have:
- A variation theme;
- Two child products for the corresponding parent;
- The same categories for your child as for your parent products;
- Excluded the parent products;
- No red fields or values in the attribute builder.
5) When to contact Channable support
You have followed all the steps described in this article but the variant structure is still not working? Please take a look at step 4 first, it elaborates on the common mistakes that can occur when setting up the variant structure. Also note that Amazon needs at least a few hours after the feed has been exported to process the changes that have been made. Still not working? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org