In this article we will explain the process of submitting your product feed for Google Shopping into the Google Merchant Center. Google Merchant Center is the online portal where you can send your items to Google Shopping. This article assumes you already have a Google Shopping feed link generated in the Preview step of a Google Shopping channel within Channable. If you still need to set up a Google Shopping channel, this article explains how you can set up a channel.
It is also possible to send your items to the Merchant Center via our Google Shopping API. This article explains to you how to set up an API connection for Google Shopping.
Google Merchant Center
If you don’t have a Google Merchant account yet, you can register an account on merchants.google.com and click on the green Sign up-button and log in with an existing Google Account. If you already have an account you can just click Sign in on the top right corner of the screen.
Once you are logged in to the Merchant Center, click on Products in the side menu to open your Feeds page. Next click on the blue plus button to create a new Google Shopping feed in your Merchant Center account.
Next, you will be guided through 3 screens where you will need to provide all the necessary information to set up your Google Shopping feed. The first screen looks like the one shown below and here you choose your target country and language.
After clicking Continue you will reach the second stage, in which you choose the feed name and the input method of your product feed. Here you choose the second option: Scheduled Fetch (as shown below).
After clicking continue you'll reach the last stage, in which you:
- Choose a name for the file (does not have to be the exact file name);
- Choose the frequency and time when Google will download your product feed from Channable;
- Paste the feed URL (which you can retrieve in Channable under Channels > Google Shopping > Preview);
- Click Save
You do not have to fill in a username and password.
You have now added your feed to Google Merchant Center. Next, you can click on the name of the feed you've just created and click the three dots icon on the right hand side and select Fetch now.
Google will now start to process your feed and check if it contains all the necessary product information. Wait for a moment and refresh the page a few times until you see that your items have been processed.
- Product warnings are aspects of your product feed that can be improved but will not prevent your items from being displayed on Google Shopping.
- Product errors are aspects of your product feed that have to be improved in order for your items that have these errors to be displayed on Google Shopping. You can solve these errors by adding this information to your product feed in Channable.
Your items will now be validated by Google over the next couple of days. If you click on Products in the side menu you can track the progress of this validation process. If there is still an hourglass/timer icon displayed after your items it means that these items have not yet been validated by Google. After a few days the hourglasses/timer icons should turn into green check marks, which means your products are now live on Google Shopping!